Bookworms on Main
In 1900, H.C. Lindsley bought what had been a small newspaper and stationery stand at 172 N Main St. In 1907, he incorporated this location as the Waynesville Book Company, selling books, school supplies, office equipment, magazines, newspapers, postcards, and cameras.
Readers could also borrow books on Main Street from a library which was first established inside the law office of W.B. Ferguson. By the 1940s, the library was housed in the Rock Building (at 113 N Main St in Waynesville). It would eventually move again before settling in its current location on Haywood Street.
Photographs courtesy of Henry Foy, The Haywood County Library Digital Collection